Thursday, June 26, 2014

Cutthroat Kitchen --- and reminders to the classroom.

I love Food Network - and last night, as I watched my recording of Cutthroat Kitchen, I realized how it could fit into a classroom.

Every contestant is told to create a dish (think of this like our lesson plans). Then, the real excitement begins - auctions for sabotage items to give to other contestants. Not that we have other teachers trying to sabotage us, or that students, or even ourselves are trying. HOWEVER, things happen: technology goes down, something happens that you forgot about (think pep rally), students need to talk about a school / life / world event, or something as simple as needing to reteach a concept.

This leads to an opportunity - one that a teacher can either embrace, or cringe and complain about. I choose to embrace it - sure, a change can be annoying, but if it ultimately helps students become better - then bring it on! If my lesson needed technology, and I don't have it - it is a chance for students to learn how an adult handles a set back. Inside, I could be really frustrated, but outside - project confidence and show that their is a Plan B in place.

Overall, everything happens for a reason - roll with it!

No comments:

Post a Comment