Tuesday, September 8, 2015

How to Teach Geography... with the NFL - Part 1 - Location

YEARS AGO - SEVEN, TO BE EXACT....

A FORMER EIGHTH GRADE TEACHER GIFTED ME,
A PACKET.

THAT PACKET CHANGED HOW I TEACH THE FIVE THEMES OF GEOGRAPHY....

FOREVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The premise is simple. 
Use the NFL to show students how MR. HELP  is relevant in EVERY aspect of life.
I've tweaked this project over the years, and I am pretty content with how it is RIGHT now! 

My students are to the stage of working on their own projects.

First, I start with the worksheet about location. 
This one is simple. 
We go through and write down all the locations and names of the teams. 

Students are always amazed that the NY Jets / NY Giants share a stadium, that the Arizona Cardinals aren't in Phoenix (and don't have their own stadium), that the Dallas Cowboys aren't in Dallas, etc. 

This leads to a wonderful discussion on why those LOCATIONS are picked versus where the name conveys they are from. 

I number this map
My worksheet that students fill out. 

This usually takes two days. 

One to research and one to discuss! 

See blog post coming - NFL - Part 2 - Place.

No comments:

Post a Comment