Monday, May 30, 2016

Reading Reflections - #Connections #elachat

When I travel, I always take books with me.

Lately, I haven't been taking physical books - I have my Kindle Fire and my Moto X for access to books.

I love the Overdrive program for access to free reading books - and one I've recently gotten from there is Tony Danza's I'd like to Apologize to Every Teacher I've Ever Had this book is amazing, especially paired with @jmattmiller Ditch That Textbook

What I've been doing is reading a bit from each and reflecting on my own teaching journey while reading these chapters. 

Simply, I've concluded every one of us must feel lost at times and reading books on other's experiences doesn't just give us a "Hey, I remember that issue..." it also helps us (me) realize that how we (I) have grown as (a teacher) teachers. 

I still remember my first year - tons of worksheets and memorizing. Now, not so much, as I read and connect on Twitter and Google+, I'm finding more ways to customize learning in my own classrooms. I can shoot a message out, and get a response within seconds - that response can lead to projects with other teachers and schools. Plus, it leads my students into learning that the world is much larger than our four walls. 

I still get a kick out of that first day: the jitters are as real as the first time walking into a classroom. The reality, if I wasn't nervous, I know it would be time to get out of teaching. 

It's not even June! I'm already reworking curriculum plans and reforming projects. Who said learning ends?!?

No comments:

Post a Comment