Saturday, July 22, 2017

What #GarthinSiouxFalls has reminded me about teaching...

I've not blogged in a long time. I've thought about it, and have a list of ideas. 

So why @garthbrooks as a reason to start a new post? It's because it has reminded me all the important lessons of #TLAP, #PLAP, #InnovatorsMindset, #ShiftThis and many more of the awesome teaching books I've read the past two years. 

First - a connection to personal experience. #GarthinSiouxFalls was last in the area when I was in High School. Mom and I froze outside the #HyVee in Spencer, IA, waiting and waiting to hear first, that the tickets were on sale. Second... that there would be a show that still had tickets. The anticipation was set. Mom, my sister, and I all went to the concert - nose bleed section, but still amazing - my first real concert! (I still have- and use - the binoculars mom got me. Poor dad, had to stay home and take care of the livestock.)

Second - anticipation. I often lead students with a cliff-hanger statement for the weekend about what we are doing the next week. It's amazing how often students will walk in Monday excited about what it might be. The anticipation of getting tickets is very much the same. I set everything up early, and totally did a count down to try and get tickets. 


Third - things happen. As in life... Now, I am a major #Garth fan. I've got all the CDs (yes, those classic things), I've also got the digital forms - I do keep up with the times. I even have the #ChrisGaines CD (which I do like). That said, life changes - it's been twenty years. I'm a teacher, I've grown up. My parents are retired, my sister is married and a nurse. I've got my own family. I adjust with the times - I can't remember the last time I've physically used a CD. I can say when I've used my streaming apps / saved digital music and podcasts. I didn't score tickets, life will move on, roll with it and learn from it. 

Finally - rewards are sweeter when not expecting it. I just learned #GarthinSiouxFalls is going to announce more shows on Monday - so, I'm hoping that will work. If so AWESOME, if not that's ok, too. I'll mope, but then I'll pick myself up and move on. Additionally, the time waiting for tickets to start being sold was an awesome stroll down memory lane - one that I enjoyed taking! 

So the main takeaway: I want to build the anticipation for students to want to be in my room. We will adjust as needed, and I've got to remember to celebrate the awesome things that happen every day in our room. 

PS - I'm still hoping for tickets, so I might be missing school for a day to drive to the concert! 

No comments:

Post a Comment