Thursday, August 11, 2016

Ready, Set, Gold. #xlap #6thchat #gamification

I've been debating what to have students do the first day and week. I'm all about getting to know the students and developing the learning community.

To this end, I've got a Google form for students to fill out about themselves. I've also made one for parents the night of orientation / open house.

I'm now thinking that we should play games - this is thanks to my chats on #6thchat, #gamification and #xlap as of late.

So, how to do this?

I'm currently building a Kahoot! have students guess the right answers about me. This is fine, but it doesn't let them show me who they are. So, after the first day (I really want to get the surveys done so I can review them that night) why not focus on team building and class procedures via the Olympic games?

Students could choose a current event and explain how that sport represents them.
Or, they may make up a new sport.

I'm also thinking this may lead into some "Minute to Win It" style games. However, I'm unsure if I should have students create the games, or if I should have a different game for each section - and warn them not to tell the others. That way, I get the word of mouth going via students, but even those that do find out what the last class had, by the time they get to the room, it's completely different. Then, I can use all these game throughout the year as review / reward games.

PS - I'd pick Rugby Sevens. I love the thinking / planning of plays, the chance for individual and teammate supports, and the thrill of the game!

No comments:

Post a Comment