Wednesday, July 2, 2014

It's the little things...

So, I've not been blogging the past couple of days... there is a reason. 

Our community funded a new school - Four Million Dollars for a pre-k - 12 grade school. I'm sure it is small compared to others - we have one classroom per grade. We have around 200 students, and around 20 staff. We all know each other: it's nice. (Also, one of the reasons that I ended up staying out here for more than year (now on year six!)

This Summer, I've been helping our custodial staff reset the school. It has been very interesting - I've always packed up my room, and loved the look of the building when I come back. I've never really thought about the ENTIRE process of getting those rooms and halls looking that good. (Trust me, I can tell you more about floor care than I EVER thought I would know, and I can also tell all kinds of ways to remove gum from under desks, and how important it is to either make a drawing or have a picture of how each teacher wants their room put back!) 

Hence, the blogging delay. Today, I was working in my room in my "teacher" mode again - sorting all kinds of things out. In fact, I have filled a 55 gallon trashcan with "stuff:" old board game boxes, old old old copies of papers (before I was teaching), and just junk. 

So, here's the point: be thankful for the people who do all the "little" things. The people who take out the garbage, wipe down boards, fix the desks, etc. (Seriously, my room is usually good - I expect the students to take care of their area and I take care of mine.) Also, the secretaries -they help and know things!- NEVER forget them! These "little" people do so many things, and most the time don't get the credit from parents and the community.  

Overall, appreciate everyone! 

No comments:

Post a Comment