Thursday, May 28, 2015

My Dog's Insights

I've been debating what to write about today. 

I think anyone knows my pets are my kids. They motivate me to do many things, and people who know me joke if they have to come back as a pet, they'd want me to be their owner.

That thought is guiding today's post. My youngest dog - Kaydee - is a "pit mix." I am pretty sure that she is coonhound, but that is beside the point.

Kaydee was adopted by us at four months old. Her bio from the Humane Society said she was "the more outgoing" of a two dog owner surrender.

My mom and sister drove her out to her new home on International Pi Day: 3/14/12. I've had her now for a while, yet she still has issues. 

She isn't trusting when someone is holding anything that resembles a stick, bat, fly swatter, anything. She doesn't like loud noises, silverware being clinked with anything, or sometimes just random noises. She gives warnings, then snaps... if she runs to her kennel, you have to just leave her alone and eventually try to coach her out. She suffers from anxiety when left alone - serious anxiety - if Allie (the older dog) isn't with her, you can hear Kaydee bawling from five blocks away. She's always waiting to greet everyone the minute they arrive home... I think she can tell that we are coming from three blocks away. 

However, she is still an awesome "dog." She is willing to try new things: yesterday, she actually let us hold a flyswatter next to her and she didn't just run away.  The last thunderstorm, she wanted to run to her kennel but listened to me about just sitting with me. She is starting to not run when something scares her: she analyzes it first, especially if we tell her it is ok. 

So, how on earth does this relate to teaching? 

Kaydee reminds me that I need to realize each student comes with their own fears, problems, challenges. 

I need to keep having patience with them, just like my Kaydee. They all have their own rewards / benefits - they make my life more interesting, and sometimes challenging. 

I NEED to find what motivates them, what makes them happy, and what they fear (such as risk taking). When I know this, I can help them through the problem areas and push them to achieve even more in what they enjoy, and help expand their knowledge. 

No comments:

Post a Comment